Recognition of foreign qualifications - settlement of architects

Nationals of a member state of the EU or a contracting state of the EEA and their family members as well as nationals of the Swiss Confederation who are authorized to practice the profession of a freelance architect in their member state of origin may establish themselves on the territory of the Republic of Austria to practice the profession of a freelance architect if there are no grounds for exclusion and they have been granted the authorization of an architect by the Federal Minister for Labour and Economy.
The application for the award of the authority of an architect is submitted via the regional chambers for chartered engineering consultants. They are also available for advice and support:

Regional Chamber for Chartered Engineering Consultants in Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland –
Kammer der ZiviltechnikerInnen für Wien, Niederösterreich und Burgenland

Karlsgasse 9/1
1040 Wien
T.: (+43) (01) 505 17 81
F.: (+43) (01) 505 10 05

Regional Chamber for Chartered Engineering Consultants in Styria and Carinthia –
Kammer der ZiviltechnikerInnen für Steiermark und Kärnten

Schönaugasse 7/1
8010 Graz
T.: (+43) (0316) 82 63 44
F.: (+43) (0316) 82 63 44 - 25

Regional Chamber of Chartered Engineering Consultants for Upper Austria and Salzburg –
Kammer der ZiviltechnikerInnen für Oberösterreich und Salzburg

Kaarstraße 2/II
4040 Linz
T.: (+43) (0732) 73 83 94
F.: (+43) (0732) 73 83 94 - 4
Kammerdirektion Linz:
Geschäftsstelle Salzburg:

Regional Chamber of Charteres Engineering Consultants for Tyrol and Vorarlberg – j
Kammer der ZiviltechnikerInnen für Tirol und Vorarlberg

Rennweg 1
6020 Innsbruck
T.: (+43) (0512) 58 83 35
F.: (+43) (0512) 58 83 35 - 6

Federal Ministry for Labour and Economy –
Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Wirtschaft

MR Dr. Anton Bernbacher
Organisationseinheit: VI/8
Tel: +43 1 71100 Durchwahl 805805 (Ersatzdurchwahl 805818)
Stubenring 1, 1010 Wien

In any case, the following documents and certificates shall be attached to the application for the granting of the authorization:

  1. proof of nationality,
  2. certificate of competence from the Member State of origin entitling the holder to take up the profession of freelance architect,
  3. certificates issued by the competent authorities of the Member State of origin confirming the good repute, the absence of insolvency and the absence of professional misconduct; these certificates must not be older than three months at the time of their presentation; and
  4. confirmation that the training of the applicant for establishment complies with Annex V, 5.7.1. of the Professional Qualifications Recognition Directive.
  5. It is mandatory to be a member of a regional chamber of chartered engineering consultants in order to exercise the profession.


law on professions