Recognition of foreign qualifications - service of chartered engineering consultants

The requirements for the provision of temporary and occasional services in Austria by holders of foreign certificates of competence are:

  1. the citizenship of a member state of the EU or a contracting state of the EEA or the citizenship of the Swiss Confederation,
  2. the establishment in a member state or in Switzerland as well as a valid authorization to exercise the profession of an engineering consultant on a freelance basis in a field equivalent to the Austrian fields of expertise,
  3. the professional qualification,
  4. the exercise of the profession of a freelance chartered engineering consultant in a field equivalent to the Austrian fields of expertise during the past ten years for at least one year if this profession is not regulated in the country of establishment of the service provider


Before providing the service, the service provider is obliged to inform the service receiver of the following:

  1. the register in which they are included, as well as the number of the registration or equivalent data from this register serving for identification purposes,
  2. the name and address of the competent supervisory authority in the country of establishment,
  3.  the professional chambers or comparable organizations to which the service provider is affiliated,
  4. the professional title or their certificate of qualification,
  5.  the VAT identification number, and
  6.  details of their insurance cover in respect of professional liability.


Registration in the chamber is not required. However, the service provider is obliged to comply with the Austrian rules of professional conduct.

The service falling within the area of expertise of a chartered engineering consultant shall be provided under the professional title of the service provider's country of establishment. The professional title shall be used in the official language of the country of establishment in such a way that no confusion with the professional titles listed in the "Ziviltechnikergesetz" is possible.